Here begins Eastern Guysborough Pastoral Charge which includes the following churches:
Boylston United Church, Boylston (8km from village of Guysborough)
St. Paul’s United Church, Canso (45km from village of Guysborough)
Wesley United Church, Guysborough
Route 16 continues through the shire town of Guysborough and on to the town of Canso, at the Eastern-most tip of mainland Nova Scotia. Branching off before Canso, at Half Island Cove, route 316 leads to White Head, and on to New Harbour.
Please contact us for our current schedule of worship services.
Boylston United Church in Boylston
Boylston United Church, built in 1847 for the Methodist congregation, sits on the shore of the Milford Haven River in the community of Boylston.
St. Paul’s United Church in Canso
Canso is sometimes assumed to be at the Strait of Canso (site of the deepest causeway in the world). Actually, it is thirty miles east, at the rugged, picturesque tip of the Canso Peninsula, whose irregular coastline presents opportunities for ocean kayaking, hiking, swimming, picnicking, and sighting migratory and storm-blown birds, for which this area is a natural landfall.
Before our worship service at 9:00 a.m., we enjoy tea or coffee and snacks, and there is goodwill among us, always.
Wesley United Church in Guysborough
Wesley United traces its origins in Guysborough back to 1808 when the first Methodist clergyman visited the area and conducted a mission here for six weeks. Other missionaries followed, traveling up and down the bay shore from Guysborough to Canso. In time, the Methodists in Guysborough determined they needed a church building of their own. A church was built and the opening services were held on November 1, 1829.
A new building was erected opposite the old church on the corner of Church and Queen streets, where it still stands. The church was dedicated on August 28, 1858, and has stood in service to its congregation and community for over 145 years. It is the oldest serving church building in Guysborough. In 1925, The Guysborough Methodist Church became part of the United Church of Canada, giving our community and congregation nearly two hundred years in Guysborough to date.
New Harbour and Whitehead United Church buildings closed in June of 2014. The people of both congregations are proud to be part of the Eastern Guysborough Pastoral Charge and attend worship in one of the neighbouring churches and are very active within their communities of New Harbour and Whitehead, undertaking outreach activities.
Eastern Guysborough Pastoral Charge Office
32 Queen St. (Located in Wesley United Church – Church St. entrance)
P.O. Box 179